April 27, 2023
Each year, the State of Inbound Marketing Trends shares insights into marketing trends. In 2022, influencer marketing (34%) topped the list, followed very closely by a mobile-friendly website design (33%), short-form video content (31%), virtual events (31%), and experiential marketing (29%).
The study also looked at emerging platforms that were gaining popularity for marketing plans and virtual events and how many marketers were using them. They include:
- Twitter Spaces (20%)
- YouTube Shorts (15%)
- Instagram Live Rooms (13%)
- Facebook Live Shopping (12%)
- Spotify Green Room (8%)
A few things don’t change. People get their information online, and organic searches are still the leading way for consumers to find brands. As 2023 heads into the second quarter, has anything changed? What are the future trends in event marketing technology? Where should event marketers invest their time and money? Here are six trends to pay attention to.
You cannot forget that some of your attendees are going to have a disability and that can make it difficult to attend an event. Someone who has a hearing impairment would find accessible technology like giant screens with closed captioning to be immensely helpful. Braille displays and menus are also helpful.
AI is a great way to automate some of the routine things that will happen before, during, and after the event. AI can create emails and messages to send to consumers, but the AI platform can personalize them. You can use AI to welcome guests as they scan a QR code or check into the event using contact-free options and recommend the activities that AI predicts would be most appealing to each person. AI can even send and personalize messages to those who attended.
You can also use AI to track analytics and draft the final report for you to go over. Just remember that AI isn’t perfect, yet, but it’s getting very close.
Augmented, Mixed, and Virtual Realities
Augmented reality (AR) creates an environment using a real-world view but adding computer enhancements. Pokemon Go is a good example of AR, you’re in the real world, but computerized Pokemon are out there waiting for you to find them.
Virtual reality (VR) is a computer-generated environment that’s designed to look like a real or fictional environment. Many computer games use VR to make it seem like you’re part of that computerized world as you explore while wearing the VR headset.
This leaves mixed reality (MR) that’s a blend of both. If you’ve taken a selfie and applied a filter, that’s MR at work. If you’ve ever used an app where you can take a photo of your room and apply a paint color to the walls to see how it looks, you’ve used MR.
All three have been trending at events. They offer a chance to engage with your audience, show off your brand in a very unique way, and provide an experience that the attendees will not forget. Imagine providing a VR hands-on tour of your candy factory and pairing that with some free samples at the end.
Branded Event App
A branded event app is another way to provide a memorable experience at your event. It’s a unique method for providing information the attendees need and making their experience stress-free and enjoyable. Consider adding these features to your branded event app.
- Contact-Free Check-In: Attendees can check in without having to talk to a person, show a ticket, or stand in a long line.
- Digital Maps and Floor Plans: Some of your attendees may have anxieties that keep them from wanting to ask for help. With digital maps of the building or floor plans that show exactly where food is, bathrooms are, merchandise sales are, etc., they’ll be able to quickly find where they need to go without feeling stressed about having to ask. Use digital maps to point out where wheelchair-friendly seating is.
- Discount Codes: Use a branded event app to share discount codes on merchandise being sold at something like a tradeshow. You can use QR codes to make it easier for attendees to find the item and purchase it to have it shipped to your home.
- Event Games and Challenges: During your event, you could host giveaways or friendly competitions through the app. For example, you could have a competition where attendees scan a QR code at each booth they visit or food they try, and the people with the most points at the end win swag.
- Food Ordering: If there are going to be food carts, food stands, or other food options during the event, consider making it easy for attendees to browse menus and order food in advance. Some people won’t want to stand in line and would prefer to be able to order from the app, pick it up at a to-go window, and go find a table where they can eat.
- Ticket Sales: You can use the branded event app to sell tickets or special VIP passes that allow attendees to experience something unique.
Simulive and Live Streaming
You may have fans on the other side of the globe who would love to attend, but they can’t afford the airfare, hotel, and other travel costs. With live streaming or simulive, you can stream the events to everyone in the world, just not the people who attend the event.
While live streaming is aired then and there as it happens, simulive mixes some live events with pre-recorded ones, which can help create a more professional streamed event.
Smartwatches and Wearable Technology
An estimated 210 million people wear smartwatches, and you should take advantage of this technology’s popularity. You can track your attendees’ movements if they permit you to do so. Remember to pay close attention to privacy laws and make sure they opt in first. Use the data you get back to create a personalized experience at your event.
Another way to embrace wearable technology is by investing in wristbands with RFID chips that can be used to quickly check people in and out of the gate if they need to go back to their car with purchases, grab food at a nearby restaurant, or go home for the day to return tomorrow.
Let an Expert in Event Marketing Create a Stunning Event
Trends change constantly and surprises appear regularly. While these event marketing trends are climbing right now, something else could get added to the list a month from now. Stay on top of the trending event marketing technologies and work with an event marketing expert.
With so much innovative, advancing technology out there, you don’t want to overlook anything or put all of your faith in a marketing strategy that’s not quite right for your brand. Factory 360 has a team of award-winning marketing experts who excel at creating marketing plans that create a memorable event for your attendees.